Peace Lutheran Church began as a result of conversations among a group of Plainfield residents who felt the area was ready for its own Lutheran congregation. These individuals and families had been traveling to churches in the area for worship, spiritual nourishment, and fellowship. Early in 1956 a group met together to discuss the possibility of a church in Plainfield. As a result of that meeting, the first worship service of the Plainfield Lutheran Church was held in the Overman Funeral Home Chapel with Rev. R.H. Bekemeier, Circuit Counselor, officiating, with 101 in attendance.
On December 16th of that year, the congregation was officially named Peace Lutheran Church. Worship services continued to be held in the Overman Chapel during this time. Late in 1957, property was purchased along Main Street in Plainfield. A new church building was constructed with the first worship service conducted in that building on February 28th, 1960 by Rev. Richard Baldes. Pastor Baldes had accepted the call to serve as pastor for the dual parish of Peace and Zion, Wheatland township.
In the fall of 1961 Rev. Herman Christiansen was installed as the pastor of the dual parish after Pastor Baldes took a call to another congregation. In 1965, the dual parish arrangement with Zion was terminated with Rev. Christiansen serving Peace until the fall of 1968. The next pastor to serve Peace was Rev. Vern Ellis who served here until May 1973. Rev. Edward Geschke was called to be pastor at Peace and was installed in November 1973 serving until his retirement in June 1998. On June 28, 1998, the Rev. Galen Sollie was installed as pastor at Peace and serving until his retirement in May 2017. The Rev. Dr. David Balla was called to be pastor as Peace and was installed on July 9, 2017.
As the congregation continued to grow throughout the mid 1970’s, several changes were made to the building. A red velvet hanging was installed behind the altar, giving a new dimension to the wooden cross. A series of 10 stained glass windows were installed, depicting miracles performed by Christ during His life on earth. In the years following this, an ambitious building program was undertaken which increased the size of the church building by more than twice its size. The back wall was torn out and added on to, creating a choir loft, additional seating in the sanctuary, and an enlarged narthex / fellowship area with rest rooms and coat racks.
Hymn: Praise to God Who Sent His Spirit by Jan Carneighi